Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Little More Personal

I'd really rather not write an about me. Actually, I'd prefer to start writing for this blog right away rather than have to explain myself to anyone. But what's the fun in reading something that someone else has written when you don't know anything about that person? I wouldn't want to spend time on Pride and Prejudice without knowing a tad-bit of information about Jane Austin. Well, I wouldn't want to spend ANY time on Pride and Prejudice in general, but that's besides the point.

My name is Lucy Shea, and I have a passion for film. As Steve Martin once said, "you know what your problem is? It's that you haven't seen enough movies". While most teenagers spend their time fawning over vampires and other pregnant teenagers, I spend my time in cinemas. Every week, I take a drive on down to the local theatre and spend $10 on a film that I haven't seen yet (which can be difficult at times as I see practically EVERYTHING!). It wasn't until 2 years ago that I discovered my love for the big screen, but I know that it will never cease to exist now that it's been found.

I am a movie-snob, and I accept that about myself. I not only have several "favorite" films, but favorite directors and screenwriters as well. The overall honor goes to Baz Luhrmann, who is just my favorite in general. "Romeo + Juliet" and "The Great Gatsby" are cinematic masterpieces in my eyes, and I can only aspire to one day make films that are just as wondrous.

Christopher Nolan, Terrence Malick, and Alfred Hitchcock are easily the ultimate directors/storytellers in my eyes. "The Prestige", "The Tree of Life", and "Psycho" are among many in my preferred collection. However, as writing is my second love in life, Damon Lindelof is THE MAN when it comes to screenwriting. Star Trek wouldn't be as incredible nor World War Z salvageable if he were not a part of the cinematic world.

Leonardo DiCaprio, Ryan Gosling, and Bradley Cooper are Oscar winners in my eyes, as are Jessica Chastain, Emily Blunt, and Jennifer Lawrence (who won this year! Congrats Jenn!). Yet, James Dean is my ultimate rebel without a cause, and I find an excuse to mention him or hang a poster of him in my room almost every day.

I decided to start writing this blog, Life of a Future Oscar Winner, as a way for me to express my love for movies in the best way I could think of: writing about them. Here you will find reviews of everything from the most recent blockbuster to that one indie from twenty years ago that everybody hated. My passion for movies is prevalent when I know someone personally, but online is a whole different ballgame. Hopefully I can share my adoration with others who feel the same way.

So, stay tuned for more blog posts involving anything and everything film! Until then, do as James Dean did; "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today".

4 comments:

  1. Hi you're awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you're enjoying the reviews!

      Delete
  2. (movies are $5.50 on tuesdays at evergreen)
    ps i'm so glad someone else also enjoyed the great gatsby!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely adored Great Gatsby-the cinematography is incredible!

      Delete